- Build a new justice center including a courthouse and government offices. (Approximately $10 million).
- Convert the second story of the historic courthouse to offices for our “part-time” commissioners. First floor TBD. Total Costs TBD.
- Indiana Code 36-12-5-7. Petition or remonstrance; procedure; affidavit; duties of clerk of circuit court. Current as of: 2017
- Citizen’s Petition and Remonstrance Toolkit
March 12, 2019. BCD. Discussions resume on future of Brown County Courthouse by Suzanna Couch. Brown County Matters – Facebook Post
February 20, 2019. Commissioner Meeting. Commissioners identify the intent to push forward on this project. Facebook Post- Brown County Matters. Commissioner
- Feb 20, 2019. BCD. Facebook Post Commissioner Meeting Agenda
June 26, 2018. BCD, Letter: Courthouse project should be done thoughtfully, by Roy Graham, Bloomington. I have followed the issue of expanding the justice needs by way of a new building in Brown County carefully. … The Democrat has done an excellent job of covering this. … I am unsure if the following idea has been proposed, but before spending millions of dollars, I have a simple suggestion
May 29, 2018, BCD. LOOKING BACK: Constructing the first Brown County courthouse by Pauline Hoover, Brown County Historical Society
May 2, 2018. Consultant Presentation: New Courthouse and Government Offices – AKA – Brown County 2018 05-02 DLZ Justice Center Feasibility Study
- Note that DLZ can bid on any projects that are generated from the study.
May 15, 2018. BCD, Agency recommendation after study: Build new justice center, by Suzannah Couch
- May 2 presentation to commissioners and council
- An agency hired to examine the future of the historic courthouse in Brown County has offered two suggestions to the Brown County Commissioners and Brown County Council.
- Those are to move court offices to a new building that would be built next to the Brown County Law Enforcement Center and move some county employees into the current courthouse after it is renovated.
Jan 23, 2018. BCD, The people’s court: Courthouse project needs public input, firm says by Sara Clifford
- The agency hired to study the future of Brown County court operations wants to make two things clear:
- No. 1: The people need to drive this project, and; No. 2: Whatever it ends up being, it needs to be something taxpayers can afford.
- “I can’t stress this enough: The solution at the end of the day can’t be that we’re going to build this huge facility that’s going to meet the community’s needs for 50-plus years, but we can’t afford it,” said DLZ principal architect Eric Ratts
Jan 6, 2018. BCD, Courthouse feasibility study kickoff meeting date set . by Suzannah Couch. A group will meet to discuss the next steps in what to do about the historic Brown County Courthouse next week.
Oct 17, 2017. BCD, Another annex? New study being done on courthouse future. by Suzannah Couch. For the fourth time in eight years, a study is being done on making changes to the historic Brown County Courthouse. This time, the study also will look at building a new, separate county annex building somewhere in downtown Nashville.
- Biddle said that Umbaugh, the county’s financial consultant, said the “ideal time” to bid out a project would be at the end of 2018, get a bond and start construction in 2019.
- The Brown County Commissioners and Brown County Council went ahead with plans to borrow up to $8.25 million to build a 17,400-square-foot addition. But taxpayers soundly defeated that proposal with a remonstrance, and citizen committees began studying other options.
Indiana Public Media: wfiu, npr, WTIU
- May 17, 2018. Consultant Calls For Justice Center In Brown County
- May 3, 2017. Report: Brown Co. Courthouse Needs More Parking, Public Meeting Space
- Biddle says the DLZ assessment cost just under $20,000. She says Brown County will develop plans following the final assessment’s release.
County Website – General Information – Including previous Courthouse Studies and Proposals:
- July 2013. Courthouse Remodel and Addition Funding Facts (Download)
- July 2013. Courthouse Remodel and Addition Interest Cost Comp (Download)
- Nov 2012. Courthouse Study, Recs, Conceptual Design Part 1
- Nov 2012. Courthouse Study, Recs, Conceptual Design Part 2
- Feb – April 2012 Courthouse Study, Recs, Conceptual Design Part 3 – Interviews, Space Requirements