2020 Elections – A referendum on our Republic?
By Tim J. Clark
Updated July 5, 2020
The 2020 elections are shaping up to be a referendum on our constitutional republic with both political parties claiming their candidate will be winning in a landslide. The national issues will have an impact on local (county) elections.
Commentary: The design of the U.S system of government was influenced by Judeo-Christian values with the Bible serving as the foundation for morality and truth. In the Bible, God is perfect, man is imperfect and expected to improve. The aim of our system -enabled through the Bill of Rights, is for citizens to work towards – not a perfect union but – “a more perfect Union.” Lincoln’s address at Gettsyburg reinforced the commitment to the American system of government.
- Guest Column: Indianapolis_Star_20181007_A008_2 More Perfect Union
“What is the Christian response? It must be to reject all distinctions based on ethnicity. The church is to be a microcosm on earth of what it will be in heaven.” Tom Macy, associate pastor of Faith Church in Indianapolis.
Archbishop Viganò’s powerful letter to President Trump: Eternal struggle between good and evil playing out right now Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò warns the president that the current crises over the coronavirus pandemic and the George Floyd riots are a part of the eternal spiritual struggle between the forces of good and evil. Sat Jun 6, 2020
- Introduction to the Social Justice & The Gospel Conference | Michael O’Fallon. Topics: social justice, critical race theory, intersectionality, systemic racism, virtue signaling, woke church movement, white privilege.
- Identity Politics & The Marxist Lie of White Privilege | Dr. Jordan B. Peterson
- Systemic | The Causes of Things Ep. 20.
- Whenever you hear phrases such as “systemic injustice” or “systemic racism” try to stop, pause, and consider what is being suggested by the person weaponizing these terms.
- What is being forwarded by revolutionary politicians and pastors is the idea that the “old” systems that govern our society such as our justice system, our law enforcement systems, our economic systems are full of privileges, power, and prejudices that are meant to create inequality. Of course, those that seek to replace our “old” systems have “new” systems that are actually quite old: Marxian inspired systems of equity and discrimination.
- Cultural Marxism | Dr. Voddie Baucham
Indianapolis – Catholic Church in Carmel, IN and BLM Related Protests
- Ideologies clash at Carmel church amid protests over statements made by suspended pastor by Justin L. Mack Indianapolis Star
- They Oppose Bigotry By Supporting Hate
- The group that has been most vocal in pushing against the pastor is CARI – Carmel Against Racial Injustice – which is run by three young women who have been repeatedly interviewed by local and national media on their views. But has any media taken a look at them? Just a cursory look at their Facebook page shows an adherence to, if not a firm relationship with, Marxist organizations and principles. … How can a group be opposed to bigotry when those they support clearly hate America, and Western culture?
- What we know about Carmel pastor’s message against Black Lives Matter Kaitlin Lange Indianapolis Star
- Indiana Bishop Suspends Priest for Criticizing Black Lives Matter by Thomas D. Williams, Breitbart, July 6, 2020.
Social Justice, Critical Race Theory, Marxism, and Biblical Ethics, Looking at Marxism and Critical Race Theory in light of the problem of racism in America. KELLY HAMREN, Christianity Today. July 3, 2020.
- I hope and pray that, given the injustices on national news these days, I will do the right thing the next time I get a chance to. It’s why I’m writing this essay-length note, knowing full well that my Marxist friends (if they take the time to read it) will not appreciate my objections to their philosophy and that some of my Christian friends (if they take the time to read it) will see me as selling out.
- I want to do the right thing this time, though, and so I’m doing my best to add to a difficult conversation. I welcome any and all honest responses, whether they agree with me or not. There are important questions being raised about issues that directly and/or indirectly affect my brothers and sisters in Christ—and my friends of other faiths and no faith who share similar concerns about justice.
- So I’ll end my long reflections by saying, on or off social media, let’s talk.
July 4, 2020, President Trump’s Mount Rushmore Speech
- Remarks by President Trump at South Dakota’s 2020 Mount Rushmore Fireworks Celebration | Keystone, South Dakota,
- “Our Nation is witnessing a merciless campaign to wipe out our history, defame our heroes, erase our values & indoctrinate our children. Angry mobs are trying to tear down statues of our founders, deface our most sacred memorials & unleash a wave of violent crime in our cities.” – Donald Trump
- At Mt. Rushmore and the White House, Trump Updates ‘American Carnage’ Message for 2020 by Annie Karni and Maggie Haberman, NYT, July 4, 2020
- In a speech at the White House on Saturday evening and an address in front of Mount Rushmore on Friday night, Mr. Trump promoted a version of the “American carnage” vision for the country that he laid out during his inaugural address — updated to include an ominous depiction of the recent protests over racial justice.
- Comparison of the two perspectives on the Mt Rushmore Speech: The cultural divide: How we see each other in America
Drew Holden puts together side-by-side compilation of media tweets about President Trump’s speech vs. the actual text Posted at 5:00 pm on July 4, 2020 by Brett T.
- Democrats are advancing a socialist revolution to “correct” the original American Revolution, said Breitbart News Senior Editor-at-Large Joel Pollak, author of Red November: Will the Country Vote Red for Trump or Red for Socialism?
Victor Davis Hanson: Only Trump Win Can Stop ‘Cultural Revolution’ By Robert Kraychik, Breitbart, 29 Jun 2020
- “Well, I don’t think the election is anymore about just Donald Trump or Joe Biden, or Democrat or Republican, or Trump agenda versus Biden agenda,” Hanson determined. “It’s more or less whether you like the United States more as it was before Memorial Day, or whether you would prefer what’s evolving after this Memorial Day, and by that I mean, whether you think that we didn’t have to be perfect to be good, and our institutions from the founders were necessary to incorporate change in a lawful and calm peaceful manner and then they can adjudicate any particular flaws we have in society versus we have a cancer, supposedly from our founding, and that racism has to be irradiated or cut out, and if it kills us, the host, then that’s a necessary price to pay. I think it’s that stark a choice.”
- Does Trump winning stop the cultural revolution?”Hanson replied, “Yeah, I think it will, because I think what they’re saying to us is that everybody is to be judged by the worst thing they did in their life, not their best thing, or that we in the 21st century are going to add your life up in the past. We’re going to put on one side your pluses, on the other your minuses, then we’re going to judge you according to our own value system, right now.”
- People are getting angry. There’s a push crack coming. I don’t think it will look that bad in 30 days.”
- “I think the only way it’ll stop is for them to lose and be humiliated and then bicker and blame each other for going over the cliffs like lemmings.”
America Doesn’t Need a New Revolution By Can the country confront its current problems with its traditional can-do spirit? We have barely four months to figure out how.
- The problem is that there are people among us who don’t want to figure it out and who have an interest in avoiding workable solutions. They have an obvious political incentive not to solve social problems, because social problems are the basis of their power.
Black Lives Matter’s Silence on a Champion of Racial Equality, COMMENTARY By Robert L. Woodson Sr. RealClearPolitics, July 4, 2020.
- “One day the South will know that when these disinherited children of God sat down at lunch counters, they were in reality standing up for what is best in the American dream and for the most sacred values in our Judeo-Christian heritage, thereby bringing our nation back to those great wells of democracy which were dug deep by the founding fathers in their formulation of the Constitution and Declaration of Independence…. We will reach the goal of freedom in Birmingham and all over the nation because the goal of America is freedom … and our destiny is tied up with America’s destiny.” – MLK
Covid-19. In addition to the health and economic issues, the pandemic has also become a political issue with district differences between the red and blue states, cities, communities. A quicker recovery will benefit Trump – a longer recovery will benefit Biden.
- Dr. Scott Atlas disputes COVID-19 fear mongering tactics from our health official: KUSI Newsroom
- SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – As coronavirus cases continue to increase across the United States, health officials and Democrat politicians seem to be using that statistic to fear monger and justify closure orders.
- Dr. Scott Atlas of the Hoover Institute, discussed why we don’t need to be scared of the increase spread of coronavirus on Good Morning San Diego with KUSI’s Paul Rudy.
The Fierce Fight Over America’s Ideals and History, COMMENTARY By Charles Lipson – RCP Contributor, July 6. 2020.
- Donald Trump and the Republicans must do more than reassert traditional American values. They must connect those values to a succinct, well-defined agenda for the next four years. That means explaining why public order and business resurgence are the best path forward and why they, not the Democrats, are the ones to ensure it.
- Ultimately, the heated battle over America’s past is a battle to define its future. That better future is what Americans really care about. In November, they will vote for the candidate they think can deliver it.
Sports – NFL – Black National Anthem
- NFL EMBRACING BLM IDEALS HIGHLIGHTS ITS LEADERSHIP VOID JASON WHITLOCK
- Over the last 60 years, football and sports have been a force promoting unity across racial, political, religious and economic differences. The games and leagues are now promoting a re-segregation and a toxic polarization.
- In the real world created by our Declaration of Independence and U.S. Constitution, systemic evolution rules the NFL and the USA.
- Social media wants you to believe America and all of its institutions are irrevocably ruled by systemic racism. It’s not true.
- NOT ACCURATE: “At its inception, our country defined black people as three-fifths of a human being.”
Why the 3/5ths Compromise Was Anti-Slavery, Carol Swain, PragerU.
Black Lives Matter
The push for revolutionary change is also supported by leveraging the fears and economic impacts associated with the Covid-19 crisis with support from many political factions that include Black Lives Matter (BLM). BLM aligns with strategies associated with “Social Justice” and marxism and has become a political movement with some polls (Rasmussen, June 10, 2020) indicating a 62% popularity rating.
Commentary: The Various Faces of Black Lives Matter by Robert Stilson, RealClearPolitics, June 21, 2020.
- Black Lives Matter can mean something different depending on what part of the movement is being referenced and who is doing the referencing. For instance, when the term is used to show opposition to police brutality or other racially charged issues, it does not necessarily imply connection with any particular organization. In this sense it serves more as an expression of one’s views, rather than affiliations.
- When Black Lives Matter is used to refer to an organization, it typically means the Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation (BLM Global Network Foundation). This is the central group that traces its beginnings to “three radical Black organizers — Alicia Garza, Patrisse Cullors, and Opal Tometi,” and operates the BlackLivesMatter.com website.
- BLM Global Network Foundation is also positioned at the center of a network of 16 affiliated local chapters, such as Black Lives Matter Chicago and Black Lives Matter Detroit. In some cases, these chapters are themselves fiscally sponsored by other nonprofit organizations.
- The upshot is that “Black Lives Matter” can mean the decentralized movement as a whole, or one of the many discrete legal entities that operate under that name. This duality of meaning can lead to confusion among observers, commentators, and even the movement’s supporters.
The agenda of Black Lives Matter is far different from the slogan By Mike Gonzalez and Andrew Olivastro, New York Post, July 1, 2020
- Many see the slogan Black Lives Matter as a plea to secure the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all Americans, especially historically wronged African Americans. They add the BLM hashtag to their social-media profiles, carry BLM signs at protests and make financial donations.
- Tragically, when they do donate, they are likely to bankroll a number of radical organizations, founded by committed Marxists whose goals aren’t to make the American Dream a reality for everyone — but to transform America completely.
- “Of course I support the truth that black lives matter, but I do not support Marxists organizations with that name who I firmly believe will set back the cause of equal and robust opportunity for all Americans.”
Race, Power & Politics: Coleman Hughes Dismantles Systemic Racism In America. In this episode, Desh speaks to accomplished writer, Coleman Hughes about racism, cancel culture, and politics in America.
- Although half of the people shot and killed by police are white, black Americans are shot at a disproportionate rate. They account for less than 13 percent of the U.S. population, but are killed by police at more than twice the rate of white Americans. Hispanic Americans are also killed by police at a disproportionate rate.
- That share of black victims is less than what the black crime rate would predict since police shootings are a function of how often officers encounter armed and violent suspects. In 2018, the latest year for which such data have been published, African-Americans made up 53% of known homicide offenders in the U.S. and commit about 60% of robberies, though they are 13% of the population. (Black males approximately 7% of the population and less if you factor in age (16-40) of those most likely to commit crimes).
There is no epidemic of fatal police shootings against unarmed Black Americans By Heather Mac Donald, Opinion contributor, USA Today, July 3, 2020. Ideally officers would never need to take anyone’s life. But the data on police killings doesn’t support reducing or abolishing law enforcement.
- The leadership of BLM has made clear that only one thing will cause them to stop the looting and rioting — Trump’s defeat. But why? Have Trump’s policies created more jobs for black people, Hispanics, and women than ever before? They did, at least until the global pandemic hit. Trump rarely passed up a chance to say how proud he was of that accomplishment.
- East Lansing, MI – Physicist Stephen Hsu has been forced out of his role as vice president of Research and Innovation at Michigan State University (MSU) after he promoted 2019 study that found there to be no racial bias in incidents of officer-involved shootings.
July 1, 2020, GeekWire. Tableau launches $10M racial justice initiative to shine light on inequity with data By Monica Nickelsburg
“Marxism is a social, political, and economic philosophy named after Karl Marx, which examines the effect of capitalism on labor, productivity, and economic development and argues for a worker revolution to overturn capitalism in favor of communism.” (Investopedia). “A theory and practice of socialism including the labor theory of value, dialectical materialism, the class struggle, and dictatorship of the proletariat until the establishment of a classless society.” (Merriam-Webster).
Conservative responses are being supported by black leaders such as Candace Owens (founder of the BLEXIT Foundation) and by black conservatives that share their perspectives at Prager University.
- Black Lives Matters is a Marxist Organization. Black Lives Matter is run by Marxist organizers. They have not been silent about their agenda to dismantle the nuclear family, transform gender/sexual identity, and force radical change. So why are so many eagerly following along? – Professor Carol M. Swain, PhD sits down with Will Witt to discuss.
- Professor Carol M. Swain, PhD is an American conservative television analyst and former professor of political science and law at Vanderbilt University. She is the author and editor of several books. Her scholarly work has been cited by two associate justices of the Supreme Court of the United States. Her interests include race relations, immigration, representation, evangelical politics, and the United States Constitution.
The term “Social Justice” means the opposite of what it conveys. Nobel Prize-winning economist F.A. Hayek explained that “Social Justice” demands the unequal treatment of individuals: “To make people equal a goal of governmental policy would force government to treat people very unequally indeed.”
If you research all the various facets of the term Social Justice and the associated network of groups and initiatives with the shared aim of transformational (revolutionary) change, it leads to the identification of terms and concepts with supporting strategies that include intersectionality, woke, cultural Marxism, revolution, transformation, white racism, systemic racism, white privilege, white fragility, ethnic Gnosticism, safe space, trigger words, and virtue signaling.
Some Christian leaders have equated intersectionality as resembling a new religion.
- June 18, 2020, What’s Wrong with Phil Vischer’s Video ” Holy Post – Race in America?” By Pastor Gabriel Huges
- Every single human being on earth is descended from one man, Adam. There is only one race—the human race. … Essentially, we’re all the same color—just varying shades of brown, depending on how much melanin you have. To pass judgment on another for the tones of our skin is to pass judgment on yourself.
- The first time I watched the video, I went, “Wow!” But the second time I watched it, I went, “Wha?” The cultural Marxist nuance became more apparent.
- Nothing he presented means all white people are at fault (an accusation he makes at 15:34) or that black people are systemically oppressed. He did not point to a single current law that discriminates against a particular group of people.
The social justice-related terms and concepts provide the foundation for beliefs that are considered by leftist groups as establishing a standard of political correctness (PC). The opposition to this new standard is enforced by the PC police and subjects the dissenter (s) to attacks from individuals and mobs that can include name-calling, doxing, and “canceling.”
Ad hominem attacks and violence (assaults) are also considered justifiable tactics by many individuals and groups. The adherents of the social justice manifesto project their own undesirable thoughts and beliefs onto others. This becomes evident with the name-calling along with the inability or non-interest of the attackers to defend their beliefs with reason and logic.
The pursuit of “justice” is a worthy goal supported by our Constitution and rule of law. However “Social” justice demands treating people unequally that is unconstitutional.
If interested in learning more, Allsides.com identifies sources of information that range from the farther left to the farther right. On the farther right, PragerU.com has numerous “5 Minute videos” on the various subjects referenced above with more detail available by the respective presenters.
- Black, Millennial, Female and… Conservative, Antonia Okafor
- The Candace Owens Show: What Does Black America Want? Candace Owens
- A follow-up on her post that received “100 million” views
- Is America Racist? Larry Elder
- Racism Is NOT In America’s DNA – Larry Elder
- On Being Black and Conservative With Special Guest Derryck Green Dennis Prager
- Social Justice:
- Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro Debunks Intersectionality
- A Progressive’s Guide to Political Correctness, George Will
- Control the Words, Control the Culture, Michael Knowles
- How To End White Privilege, Brandon Tatum
- Enough with the ANTI WHITE NARRATIVE, Brandon Tatum
- Ex-US Police Officer talks ‘Black Lives Matter’, taking a knee & protests – Brandon Tatum
- College Made Me a Conservative. Jay Stephens began college as a progressive social justice warrior. She graduated a conservative. 👋 Here’s why she left the Left.
A Way Ahead
The U.S. system of government was designed to be continually improved in working towards “ a more perfect Union”. We do need to apply better methods in making needed improvements to include fact (data) based assessments and identifying the feedback needed to determine if a change is resulting in improvement.
In support of local changes, the Brown County Leader Network has identified supporting tools, concepts, and a framework for supporting systemic improvements. The basic premise that is integrated within a Community Decision Making Process:
- We can agree on the ideal, e.g., what “better” or “more perfect” might look like.
- We can agree on facts and the data that can be used to assess the current situation (s) and to help assess when a change will result in improvement.
- We can agree to disagree in a civil manner and choose to work to find solutions that we could agree to support.
- We can agree that actions to improve a situation (process/system) should result in outcomes where everyone benefits or at least, are any worse off in the long-term.
Regarding local elections, candidates for county offices (that can include those that decide to run as an independent, can reinforce that they support our constitutional republic and denounce violence and groups that perpetuate this violence. Candidates can also identify specific (non-partisan) actions that they will be taking to improve the quality of life with the county.