A “PLAN” is a written account of the intended future course of action (scheme) aimed at achieving the specific goal (s) or objective (s) within a specific timeframe. It explains in detail what needs to be done, when, how, and by whom.
Michael Hicks, an economist at Ball State University concluded that “today’s economic development policy ought simply to focus on making life better for residents who have chosen to remain.” In his article “Most Indiana counties should stop pursuing economic growth“, he reinforces that “80 or more Indiana counties are in absolute or relative decline.”
The challenge for Brown County is to assess the opportunities as well as challenges within the county and region to identify the best approaches for the county.
Technical requirements for the economic development strategic planning grant.
A “plan” is a written account of the intended future course of action (scheme) aimed at achieving the specific goal (s) or objective (s) within a specific timeframe. It explains in detail what needs to be done, when, how, and by whom.
Summary – Taxes and Trends – Presented to the Joint Meeting of Council and Commissions, June 4, 2018. June 4 DLZ Commissioner and Council Joint Meeting
South Central Indiana – United Way 2-1-1 Resource Database.
- Brown County 2018 Quarter 2 Results
- ALICE Brown County Report Information on households that earn more than the federal poverty level but less than the basic cost of living for the county. Nashville at 54% has the highest score compared to the townships and conservancy.
Town of Nashville – Planning Documents
- Nashville Adopted+Economic+Development+Plan+12-4-12
- 2017 IU SPEA Brown County Redevelopment Analysis.
- Brown County Democrat, Tuesday, May 16, 2017. Local taxes, job options need further scrutiny.
- 2018 IU_SPEA Brown County Report_Final
- Brown County Democrat. IU students discuss how data can guide county’s financial decisions
- 2019 – Support – WIP Project Proposal – Indiana Center for Rural Engagement
Brown County Hometown Collaborative Initiative (HCI). Sponsored by Office of Community and Rural Affairs, Ball State, and Purdue University.
- 2018 HCI Community Survey. There were approximately 400 responses. Survey results were presented at a community forum at which time, more input was received.
- Facebook Comments – Future Scenarios “If you were to describe what you think the county will be like in 10 years, what would you say? ...
- Brown County Redevelopment Commission (RDC) Resources: (Selected References)
- IU Public Policy Institute – Indiana and Brown County’s Economic Future
- Brown County Democrat, GUEST COLUMN: A study of tourism and economic sustainability
- 2016 Assessment – Community Performance Indicators (CPI). The CPIs are supplemented with data from The Center for Business and Economic Research at Ball State University. (Note the term “Performance” was replaced with “Vitality” in 2017.
- 2016 Community Readiness Initiative (CRI), Nashville, Brown County Ball State University
- Brown County Democrat: What are best bets for future of local economy? Brown County’s greatest potential for economic growth is as a bedroom community, according to economists with the Center for Business and Economic Research at Ball State University.
- Commuting Patterns – STATS Indiana (Note footnote on inflated estimates)
- 2014 Economic Impact of Tourism in Indiana Indiana EIS 2015 DRAFT 1-20-2016 Rockport Analytics Tourism generates sales tax and revenue from the innkeeper’s tax is used to promote more tourism. Counties are funded primarily by income and property taxes.
- PRO TOURISM
- BALANCED TOURISM – Tourism is an asset to Nashville, too much and wrong type of tourism can be a liability to the county. Tourism generates sales tax for the state and revenue for business owners. The County is funded by income and property tax.
- Andy Rogers Vision for Brown County
- MIBOR Promoting Brown County Indianapolis_Star_20181014_G005_1 Brown County Marketing MIBOR
Massachusets Institute of Technology – LIVING WAGE Calculation for Brown County, Indiana
- Facebook – Brown County Matters – Initial exchange of ideas (Starting July 17, 2018)
Regional Opportunity Initiative (ROI). The mission of Regional Opportunity Initiatives, Inc. (ROI) is to support regional development opportunities in the 11 counties of Southwest Central Indiana.
- ROI – Occupational Needs Assessments
- 2014 Strategic Plan for Economic and Community Prosperity in SouthWest Central Indiana
Oct 14, 2018 Gov. Holcomb: New jobs require Hoosiers to move beyond a diplomaAdditionally, we created NextLevelJobs.org to support Hoosier adults by offering programs that can be accomplished while working. Our ultimate goal? To fill the 90,000-plus jobs available right now and make our workforce system better aligned to employer need.
- Habitat for Humanity – 500sq ft. Home plus Buy vs Rent
- An Examination of Rural Housing Development Programs, Issues and Strategies
Purdue University, December 2016 With a Special Focus on Rural Indiana “,,, a brief examination of national, state and local housing programs and/or policies that are intended to improve the availability and quality of rural housing.”