Michael Hicks, an economist at Ball State University concluded that “today’s economic development policy ought simply to focus on making life better for residents who have chosen to remain.” In his article “Most Indiana counties should stop pursuing economic growth“, he reinforces that “80 or more Indiana counties are in absolute or relative decline.”
The challenge for Brown County is to assess the opportunities as well as challenges within the county and region to identify the best approaches for the county.
Technical requirements for the economic development strategic planning grant.
A “plan” is a written account of the intended future course of action (scheme) aimed at achieving the specific goal (s) or objective (s) within a specific timeframe. It explains in detail what needs to be done, when, how, and by whom.
Summary – Taxes and Trends – Presented to the Joint Meeting of Council and Commissions, June 4, 2018. June 4 DLZ Commissioner and Council Joint Meeting
South Central Indiana – United Way 2-1-1 Resource Database.
- 2017 IU SPEA Brown County Redevelopment Analysis.
- Brown County Democrat, Tuesday, May 16, 2017. Local taxes, job options need further scrutiny.
- 2018 IU_SPEA Brown County Report_Final
- Brown County Democrat. IU students discuss how data can guide county’s financial decisions
- 2019 – Support – WIP Project Proposal – Indiana Center for Rural Engagement
Brown County Hometown Collaborative Initiative (HCI). Sponsored by Office of Community and Rural Affairs, Ball State, and Purdue University.
- 2018 HCI Community Survey. There were approximately 400 responses. Survey results were presented at a community forum at which time, more input was received.
- Brown County Redevelopment Commission (RDC) Resources: (Selected References)
- IU Public Policy Institute – Indiana and Brown County’s Economic Future
- Brown County Democrat, GUEST COLUMN: A study of tourism and economic sustainability
- 2016 Assessment – Community Performance Indicators (CPI). The CPIs are supplemented with data from The Center for Business and Economic Research at Ball State University. (Note the term “Performance” was replaced with “Vitality” in 2017.
- 2016 Community Readiness Initiative (CRI), Nashville, Brown County Ball State University
- Brown County Democrat: What are best bets for future of local economy? Brown County’s greatest potential for economic growth is as a bedroom community, according to economists with the Center for Business and Economic Research at Ball State University.
- Commuting Patterns – STATS Indiana (Note footnote on inflated estimates)
- 2014 Economic Impact of Tourism in Indiana Indiana EIS 2015 DRAFT 1-20-2016 Rockport Analytics Tourism generates sales tax and revenue from the innkeeper’s tax is used to promote more tourism. Counties are funded primarily by income and property taxes.
- PRO TOURISM
- BALANCED TOURISM
- Andy Rogers Vision for Brown County
Massachusets Institute of Technology – LIVING WAGE Calculation for Brown County, Indiana
- Facebook – Brown County Matters – Initial exchange of ideas (Starting July 17, 2018)
Regional Opportunity Initiative (ROI). The mission of Regional Opportunity Initiatives, Inc. (ROI) is to support regional development opportunities in the 11 counties of Southwest Central Indiana.
- ROI – Occupational Needs Assessments
- 2014 Strategic Plan for Economic and Community Prosperity in SouthWest Central Indiana
- Habitat for Humanity – 500sq ft. Home plus Buy vs Rent
- An Examination of Rural Housing Development Programs, Issues and Strategies
Purdue University, December 2016 With a Special Focus on Rural Indiana “,,, a brief examination of national, state and local housing programs and/or policies that are intended to improve the availability and quality of rural housing.”