Aug 17, 2020. UPDATE – Brown County Comprehensive Plan (CFP) 2017-2022
- Management has elected to omit substantially all of the disclosures ordinarily included in financial statements prepared in accordance with the cash basis of accounting. If the omitted disclosures were included in the financial statements, they might influence the user’s conclusion about the Utility’s assets, liabilities, equity, revenues and expenses. Accordingly, these financial statements are not designed for those who are not informed on such matters.
March 18, 2019. Brown County IN Comprehensive Financial Plan 2016-2021
- The plan includes recommendations regarding tax increases (page 5) to correct budget deficits. The plan also shows the status on the major funds – all but two projecting deficits. This initial version does not include all funds to include the health insurance account. Expenses associated with projected capital improvements for new projects and infrastructure are also not included.
- Brown County Matters – Facebook Post on the Topic.
- In addition to the plan, there needs to be some education and training for elected representatives and citizens to understand the basics of county finance. A flowchart of the process would also be helpful.
- Who will be maintaining and updating the data?
- Projections assume no change in the tax base. The tax base is projected to decline.
- The county is near the maximum rate allowed by state law on income tax and will have to rely on cutting expenses and/or raising property taxes. Under state law, property taxes can increase every year and higher rates will create hardships.
- A summary of 2016 Indiana Tax Returns identified that 51% of individuals filing tax returns in the county report income of $30,000 or below.
- State Tax Returns — Income Trends by Category 1999 – 2016. Downward trend on the number of individuals reporting income of $50,000 or less and an upward trend on the number of individuals reporting income over $50,000.
Currently in-process — County Economic Development Strategic Plan.
May 16, 2017. IU/SPEA – Economic Assessment of Brown County. Report: Local taxes, job options need further scrutiny, By Sara Clifford/Brown County Democrat
Nov 1, 2018. Town of Nashville 2016-2022 Financial Plan 2016-2022