Updated: May 17, 2022
“If elected, I promise you, the community members, that I will do everything within my power to focus my time and energy on educating myself on the cost of Brown County government.”
County Council – Roles and Responsibilities
- Indiana – Dept Local Govt Finance (DLGF) – Responsibilities and Training (AIC)
- Brown County Comprehensive FINANCIAL Plan
(AIC) Association of Indiana Counties. While the Department works in partnership with the Association of Indiana Counties, the Association is a separate entity, governed by its own by-laws. http://www.indianacounties.org/
ELECTION 2022: Republican wins primary race for open council seat
- Republican Jim Kemp was announced the winner of that race on primary election night with 349 votes cast for him. his website www.jimkemp.com
The District 4 seat was held by longtime council member Arthur “Art” Knight for 22 years before he decided to not seek re-election. … The financial powers of a county are placed in the county council, which serves as a check on the board of commissioners and board of finance. The county council has fiscal control over all county officers, boards and commissions and appropriates funds used by the county and its officers.
In that process it became crystal clear in his mind why he’s running: to ensure that the county pays attention to not just every dollar, but “every dime” that is spent of taxpayer money.
“If we don’t pay attention to every dime we spend every year, what’s going to happen is you’re going to watch those property tax rates increase,” he said. “We’ve got to keep a lid on expenses. We’ve gotta go in and forecast that out and take a hard look. … We’ve got to live within our means.”
Starting now, Kemp said he has to go in and do research about topics like housing density. Relevance?
- Clarification – via email – shred with permission
Letter to the Editor: County council candidate makes promise to voters
- If elected, I promise you, the community members, that I will do everything within my power to focus my time and energy on educating myself on the cost of Brown County government. This approach will allow the county to leverage my skill sets so we can educate ourselves on the current county government’s financial picture. Then we can work together to ask better questions and to make better decisions that will lead us to a sustainable long-term financial future.