Oct 20, 2020. UPDATED County Ordinance 10-20-2020
- Mar 4, 2020 Change. Home-Occupation-Ordinance-3-4-2020
“Home Occupation means an accessory use of a dwelling unit for a business, profession, trade or vocation conducted within an enclosed dwelling, which is clearly incidental and secondary to residential occupancy and does not change the residential character thereof.”
Feb 25, 2021. Legal action filed — Sherrie Mitchell — Follow-up in response to the BZA’s dismissal of Mitchell’s appeal (Jerry Cowan case) on Jan 27, 2021
Feb 21, 2021. BCD. ZONING DISCUSSION: What’s the intent regarding private contractors?By Sara Clifford
- A claim has been repeated several times in recent meetings about the Cowan zoning case that “every private contractor is being made illegal.” …. That is not the intent of the Brown County Area Plan Commission or the planning office.
- Appeal was denied – exceeded 45 days. No basis for the BZA to hear an appeal of the settlement agreement by the APC and Cowen that was signed in Nov 2021.
- What spurred the discussion was a case that was settled out of court between Jerry Cowan of J.C. Lawncare & Snow Removal and the APC.
- At the December APC meeting, county resident Sherrie Mitchell questioned APC members and their attorney, David Schilling, about what laws Cowan broke and why they decided to sue him.
- Cowan told the meeting audience that he had four trucks and four enclosed trailers on his property on Ridge Acres Drive.
- Mitchell’s husband also runs a home-based contractor business, and she and other residents attending the virtual meeting wondered what effect this decision would have on other self-employed people living and working out in the county. … Schilling said that, just like speeding, zoning laws can be interpreted strictly or not, and it would be up to the APC and planning director to decide what to do on a case-by-case basis. The home occupation ordinance has been on the books for years, and rarely has a problem ever been brought up by a neighbor about a contractor parking outside their house, he said.
- To the editor: Last Tuesday evening I joined the Zoom meeting of the county area plan commission. I knew the agenda included a discussion involving…
Brown County Area Plan Commission vs Jerry Cowan – Filed Oct 18, 2019
- Item 8. “Additionally, Cowan has established and operates a lawn care and snow removal business (“the business”) on the Cowan Property.”
- Note: He only parks his trailers on his property.
- Item 11. “The Business does not meet the definition and limitations applicable to home occupation uses and has not be authorized, by permit or special exception approval, to operate as a home occupation. “
- Note: Typo – assume it was meant “has not been” (vs be) authorized.
Case Settled Nov 20, 2020.
Nov 25, 2020. Appeal filed by Sherrie Mitchell per Section 7.5 Brown County Zoning Ordinance. Anyone adversely affected by a decision made by the Planning Director can be appealed to the BZA.
Older Versions of the Ordinance