Updated Apr 6, 2023
Summary: County elected officials are expected to join the Nashville Town Council and the mayors of Bloomington and Columbus in signing a Resolution in support of the United Nations’ strategy for fighting climate change.
Apr 4, 2023.‘Opportunity to rebuild’: Local community leaders unveil climate change alliance
Mar 24, 2023, Audio – Climate Change Presentations
The Resolution includes a pledge from the county to provide funding of 50 cents per capita or $7,500 for Brown County, per year over the next three years.
Per the presenters, although the county’s contribution to reducing greenhouse gases may be small, Brown County can be part of a regional and global (U.N) initiative to prevent “the catastrophic effects of global warming.” U.N Report:
- “Climate change is a threat to human well-being and planetary health ( very high confidence ). There is a rapidly closing window of opportunity to secure a liveable and sustainable future for all (very high confidence ). ” U.N Report
- “Emissions should be decreasing by now and will need to be cut by almost half by 2030, if warming is to be limited to 1.5°C. ” U.N. Report
Among the benefits of the alliance are the expectations of federal funding for various projects.
Mar 24, 2023. Project 46 – Southern Indiana Regional Climate Alliance Kick-off Meeting- Nashville Town Hall (PDF of the announcement)
- Audio – Part 1 Climate Change Presentations by Anna Hoostetter (Nashville Town Council), Columbus Mayor Jim Lienhoop, Nashville Town Manager Sandie Jones, and Bloomington Mayor John Hamilton
- Audio – Part 2 Questions and Answers
United Nations Climate Change Report – Climate Changes 2023. © Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, 2023.
- Press Release IPCC_AR6_SYR_PressRelease_en
- Summary for Policymakers. IPCC_AR6_SYR_SPM
Mar 16, 2023. Opposing Perspective: TUCKER CARLSON: Climate change experts’ bullying is not about helping the Earth, it is about controlling us. Tucker shreds climate change ‘experts’ and their predictions, which have not held up well over time
Oct 6, 2022. Bloomington, IN. First Regional Climate Convening Assembled To Discuss and Address Climate Change