RDC Website – Choose Brown County – Link to Google Docs and Zoom Meetings
July 27 2021. One down, one up’: New entity proposed to reuse vacant home sites By Sara Clifford
- July 27, 2021. Small, not ‘less than’: Local business working on efficient, affordable housing initiative By Sara Clifford –
July 22, 2021. RDC Meeting.
- The RDC will meet at Brown County Middle School (formerly known as the junior high) at 6 p.m. Available on Zoom
- BCM Facebook Post of the Article and Comments
- Justin Schwenk … The idea is not so much to create a specific size but rather a specific price of home that is attainable by first-time homebuyers, younger families, and residents looking to move upward. The problem with the market is that over the last thirty years, the market has driven home prices up so dramatically that a specific and needed demographic (20-40 yr olds) is priced well out of the market. This plan would kill a few birds with one stone. Using properties that the market has largely left behind, we can mitigate distressed homes and support attainably priced homes without disturbing the natural market trends. The only people who stand to benefit financially are local business owners who would be doing the maintenance, demolition, and rebuilding of the homes on properties–largely after they have been resold back to private ownership.
- What would the the needed income level for the respective 20-40 year demographic?
- Potential buyers cannot would have to include all age groups.
- The Building Community Initiative is a three-phase project designed by the redevelopment commission to be a community-driven effort to identify vacant and abandoned homes, rehabilitate them, and return them to productive use — specifically as affordable starter homes that will be accessible to a greater number of people interested in locating to Brown County.
Sep 20, 2020. Redevelopment commission planning land survey by Sara Clifford